My Followers

Sunday, May 6, 2012

Fan Card #3 and Tutorial

Morning all. I made 3 fan cards back in March and only posted 2 (Fan Card #1 and Fan Card #2).  Today I am showing fan card #3 which is actually the 1st one I made, and a short tutorial requested by a couple of followers.

I made this card as a contest entry for Magnolia Ink magazine's March contest - Make a card with DooHickey dies. The challenge was to create a special shaped card with Magnolia DooHickey dies only, no figure image.

I distressed most part of the card with machine stitches, folds, distress tools, and distress inks. I made the water distressed flower from die cuts using DooHickey Doily Petal dies. The card was decorated with Magnolia designer paper, more Magnolia DooHickey die cuts (swirls, dragon fly, vintage keys, lace border, heart tag), pearls, ribbons, and metal book corner from WOC. The card measures approximately 5 1/2" x 5 1/2".



I cut out the peonies on the DP at the mountain folds to enhance the 3D effect.



The tutorial below demonstrates the basic steps. You can practice on copier paper first.  I borrowed my son's math instrument kit to measure and draw the card base and inside piece. 

Step 1: Make the card base- 120 degree pie shape card stock with 5" radius.  Score and fold in half.



Step 2: Draw a half circle with 4 3/4" radius on a piece of DP. Cut out the half circle. Mark and score every 15 degree angle from the radial centre.


Step 3: Make accordion folds


Step 4: Cut out 1" half circle at the base of the accordion fold and punch 1/16" holes approx 1/4" from the bottom edge of the accordion folds.


Step 5: Decorate the inside edges of the fan (blue part) with card stock or designer paper. Adhere the 2 ends of accordion folds to the card base. Thread twine through the punched holes and make a bow tie to secure the fan.


Step 6: Finish the card front and back with DP, stamp image, and/or embellishments.

The good news is my fan card #3 won the contest and was featured in the May issue of Magnolia Ink Magazine :).



Hope you enjoy the tutorial. Let me know if you have further questions.

Have a great week.

Hugs,
Katie

I will participate in the following challenges:
  • WOC- Fancy folds
  • MDUC - More than 1 fold

11 comments:

Lynne Moncrieff said...

A wonderful and generous tutorial, thank you.
Congratulations!!! Your fan card most certainly deserves this recognition.
Wishes
Lynne

Eulanda said...

Wow that is just gorgeous and looks like a lot of work! Very cool to have it in the magazine!! Congrats! Thanks so much for joining us this week at MDUC. Hugs!

Ephemera said...

Hi Katie, firstly congratulations for being featured in the Magnolia publication, I can see why it is absolutely gorgeous & secondly thanks for sharing your tutorial, I think I will be making one of these gorgeous fan cards soon. XxX

sara said...

wow this is beautiful what a lovely idea thanks so much for joining us at MDUC this week
hugs sara x x

sassy said...

wow certainly is a **WINNER(** such detail love it just superb congrats on your win you fully deserved it hugs sasysx

Dr Sonia S V said...

What a stunning creation
Cheers from Bangalore, India
Sonia
cardsandschoolprojects.blogspot.com

MaxineD said...

Stunning card, and thanks so much for the tutorial.
Blessings
Maxine

Lori said...

I had stmbled upon your blog via Stampsmiths. You makes beautiful creations! Congrats on the win :)

Alexandra♥ said...

I'm surfing through your blog Katie... I suppose I missed this post because back in 2013 I wasn't your follower :) This card and this tutorial are so creative! The card fan is a real something! I must try and do this one too, and of course post a link back to your current post. You are so talented!

(AJ) ArtJypsy said...

Looks easy enough to try. Thank you for showing us this fantastic fan tutorial.

Ineke Gijzen said...

Wat een prachtige kaart, die ga ik binnenkort zeker eens proberen!
Bedankt voor de uitleg en nog gefeliciteerd met je opname in de Magnolia publicaties.
Groetjes, Ineke Gijzen