My Followers

Thursday, September 6, 2012

Beauty Lies Within and Handmade Paper Rose Tutorial


Hello everyone. 
A couple of weeks ago, my team mate Suzie at Fashionista Challenge
asked if I would do a tutorial on the rose I made for my "Thinking of You" card.

I have a card to share with you today. I used one of my favourite stamp images,
Maribel from Stempelglede, and some of my handmade roses.
At the end of this post, I have a tutorial on how to make these paper roses.
I have seen several tutorials on the web using the same dies,
and my tutorial is just another variation.
 
 
The card measures 4 1/4"(W) x 6 1/4"(H).
I used Spellbinder Curved Rectangle dies to cut the card base,
and Label Four dies to cut the stamp image and mats.
The DP is 8 1/2" x 11" Fairy Belle from Prima.
I fussy cut out the beautiful flowers, butterfly and dragonfly from the edges of DP,
and used them to frame my card and decorate the inside of the card.
 
 
I used Cheery Lynn French Lattice Frame die to cut the trellis behind the image.
I added some foam tape under the DP frame to make it more 3D.
 
 
I lightly distressed the edges with TH Tea Dye distress ink, and completed the card with
some die cut swirls, leaves, pearls, pearl string, and some of my handmade flowers.
The sentiment I used is from Flourishes.
 
 
Thanks for stopping by and hope you enjoy this visit.
 
Hugs,
Katie
 
I wish to enter this card in the following challenges:
 
 
If you're interested in learning how to make these beautiful paper roses,
continue with the following 8 easy steps ;^). Enjoy!!
 

Paper Rose Tutorial using Spellbinder Rose Creation Dies

 
Step 1- Preparing the paper
Scrunch up cardstock until paper is reasonably pliable and separating into 2 layers.
I use Stampin'Up smooth cardstock here.
 

 
Separate the layers. The inside layer feels like suede and looks like mulberry paper.
This is the right side of paper I use for my paper roses.
This is the technique I use so the flowers are not too bulky and stiff when finished.
 


 
Step 2- Choose dies or punches
You can use any dies, punches, or free hand cutting. I use Spellbinder Rose Creation die set.
There are 6 flower petals measuring 1", 1 3/16", 1 3/8", 1 5/8", 2", and 2 3/4" in diameter.
For this tutorial, I use the 4 smaller dies; the finished flower is about 1 1/2" in diameter. 
 



 
Step 3- Die cut the cardstock
After separating the cardstock layers, put the layers back, fuzzy sides together. Die cut the petals, cut 1 each of the 3 smaller petals and 2 of largest petal. Once cut, you can separate the paper again; this will make 2 paper roses.
 


 
Step 4- Sponging the petals with ink
This step is to give the petals more depth visually.
Sponge around the edge of the petals or the center of the petals,
using chalk ink, distress ink, or any dye ink of your choice.
I did both styles below.
 

 
Step 5- Rounding the petals into cup shape
Flip the die cuts to the wrong side, shape each petal into cup shape
using a foam mat or mouse pad and a tool with rounded end.
I use a marker with rounded end and a stylus. 
 

 
Once all petals have been shaped, flip them to the right side,
shape the center of the 4 larger die cuts into cup shape.
Roll up the smallest petal into a bud.
 


 
Step 6- Pinching the petals (optional)
This step is optional if you want a more defined rose petal edge.
 

 
Step 7- Building the flowers
Take one of the 2 largest petals, add a small amount of glue in the center,
and then place the 2nd largest petal on it, overlapping the petals.
Use a tool with rounded end to press down the petals in the center.
Continue adding the petals, overlapping each other. 
 




 
Step 8- Finishing touch
Once the glue is set, spay the roses with pearl mist to add some sparkles.
 


 
Note: For larger roses, use larger die cuts. You might need an extra petal to add fullness.


30 comments:

brenda said...

A totally stunning piece of artwork Katie and clever use of pretty DP's.

Thank you so much for sharing your lovely work with us at Stampalot challenge this month.

B x

Suzie's Card Den said...

Wow Katie, thank you so much for this, your card is totally amazing, it must have taken you for ever, and such a work of art. I love your tutorial, you make it look so easy and what a great idea of scrunching and separating the cardstock, I would not have thought about that, I will definitely be having a go at making these
Hugs from a grateful
Suzie xx

Silvia(Barnie) said...

That's a breathtaking card, your flowers are amazing. Thanks for the tutorial and for joining us at FSC this fortnight.

Lynne K said...

An absolutely beautiful take on our inspiration photo! The roses are gorgeous, and what a brilliant tutorial! Thank you for sharing your lovely work with us at Stampalot Challenge, and good luck.

Lynne

lady e said...

Gorgeous card! Beautiful colours, amazing flowers! Thank you for tutorial!
Hugs
Lady E

sassy said...

wow fabulous and stunning creation and well done on the tut will have a go it must have took you ages to do the piccis,in all the stages ,thanks so much,,,as i love flowers will deffo give it a try ..hugs sassyxxxxxxxxxxxx

Pat K said...

Oh Katie, your card is soooo gorgeous with such wonderful detail. Thank you so much for the fabulous tutorial...I have that die so can't wait to give it a try. TFS, hugs, Pat K.x

Ephemera said...

Hiya Katie, ooooooh another absolutely gorgeous card, I adore that stamp unfortunately I can't get my inky mitts on one, so I will just have to enjoy your fabulous card instead. Great tutorial too. Thanks so much for sharing with us at FSC. XX

Francesca said...

Beautiful take on our inspiration challenge thanks for joining us at Sir Stampalot this month and good luck

Hugs
Francesca

Lau W said...

This is a so wonderful card, and My God so nice flowers ! Thanks for this tuto !
xxx

Claire said...

Wow what a gorgeous card, I love the stamp you've used and your roses are just stunning. Thanks for joining us at NMW challenges and FSC,good luck
Claire xx

Mrs.B said...

Hi Katie, another beautiful card with so many details, and a beautiful image.
Great tutorial on your gorgeous flowers.
Thanks for sharing with us at FSC
Avril xx

pinky said...

Very pretty and feminine and enjoyed the tutorial. Thanks for joining us at Crafts4Eternity.
Pinky

pinky said...

Sorry ignore that last one. I meant to say Thanks for joining us at Stampalot.
Pinky

Ribbon Girl said...

Katie your card is beautiful - so much work - but worth it for the fabulous effects you have created. Thank you for the tutorial on the paper roses! and thank you for joining in with this weeks Papertake Weekly challenge, Mary G x

Jean Straw said...

Your card is so beautiful, I love all the details and the lovely stamped image. the paper roses are really pretty, thank you for sharing how to make them. Jean x

BEARKIS said...

Perfect work!Thank you for sharing this beauty!!!!

lynne said...

Hi
You always create with effortless elegance. That is a beautiful image you used and those flowers are stunning. I so wish I owned a die cutting machine so I could try your tutorial.
Thank you for sharing with us at FSC this fortnight.
Wishes
Lynne

Tanya said...

Beautiful card, really pretty and your tutorial is great!

Thanks for joining us at MMCS Challenge Blog :)

Tanya xx

Anne said...

Very useful tutorial Katie, thanks very much for taking the time to share that x

Gaynor said...

What a beautiful creation, love your tutorial, thanks for joining our challenge at My mum's craft shop, Gaynor x

Mina said...

wow Katie your roses are stunning...this is one of my favourite stamps ever and you used her beautifully...thanks for joining in with the Crafts & Me challenge this week
Mina xxx

Clare *Littlebear* said...

This is stunning. A beautiful take on the theme. Thank you for joining us at Sir Stampalot this month.
Clare x

Joan Macdonald said...

Stunning card and stamp and thank you for the tutorial on the flowers they are beautiful.

Joan x

Tracy said...

I love your choice of image and the design and finishing touches, thanks for joining Sir Stampalot’s challenge, good luck.
Happy crafting
Tracy x

Paper Sewn Visions said...

Stunning card. Beautiful image. Thank you for sharing and joining in at NMWC. Hugs, Velma

Dots Dabbles said...

Congrats on your stampalot win!!! a really awesome piece!
Dot x

Simply Impish said...

I just ordered the rose diecut and your tutorial is so pretty.
I am a fan of your now-great job!
Aloha-Simply Impish

Liddy said...

Thankyou so much I have this die and had no idea I could make such beautiful flowers with it. Thanks again, your work is pure inspiration.

Sachi said...

Thanks for generously sharing such a fab tutorial , the idea of seperating the cs is so ingenious :) Thank you again ...